11.25.2009

Raw Food

As most of you know, I adore food in all its forms. Most recently I had the pleasure of eating a completely raw and vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Tart with Whipped Almond Cream (very much like fresh whipped cream, but even better) made by my mother's neighbors who are are vegan and eat only raw foods at home. This was the best dessert I have had in years. Years, I tell you! That is saying a lot, since we eat at some very fine restaurants and I am a baker myself. You would never know that this was not baked, and it could have been served in any 3-star Michelin restaurant.

So, I have hunted down the recipes and the cookbooks from whence they came, and am thinking that if the rest of the raw recipes are this great, I will have to begin incorporating them into my diet. I don't think I would ever go all raw but I would love to include the ideas with my whole food mentality...

The books the recipes came from, for those who are curious, are:

Everyday Raw by Matthew Kenney

Pure and Simple, Delicious Whole Natural Foods Cookbook. Vegan, MSG Free and Gluten Free. by Tami A. Benton (Author)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Hey Maya,
I have lots of raw cookbooks if you ever want to borrow some. I totally believe your amazement! The first time I made a raw carrot cake I was SOOO in love. :) Even had a cream cheese frosting made from dates. Another fav of mine is strawberry/barley cookies made in the dehydrator. We should swap recipes! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and hope to see you soon! Love Rachel