6.06.2011

Fresh Food, Asian Themed.

This Wednesday our farm share starts. I can not wait to see what goodies our fabulous farmer, Paul, has packed in the box for us. We will get an 18x18x24 box chock full of organic, local veggies EVERY week from now through the end of October, all for less than $30 a week. It's amazing.

Since I've been bitten by the Bento Bug, I have decided to take the plunge and go asian this summer making miso soups and veggies and rice all the time. To that end, I needed to find an asian grocer to buy reasonably priced items like dried seaweed, furikake (rice seasoning), and umeboshi (japanese apricots, which for some reason are labled plums in the U.S.).

In my neck of the woods, there are some latino and middle eastern grocers, but no asian ones that I've ever seen. I looked on Amazon and around online, and kept coming back to "the asian food grocer" which is FABULOUS. Low shipping, and if you buy over $100, it's free. And everything is so much cheaper than at my local stores, anywhere from 1/2 to 1/5 the price.

Then, I bought fancy rice very inexpensively at our natural food market where there are bulk bins. And I found an easy read about Japanese home-cooking, "Japanese Women don't Get Old or Fat". Odd title, but some good recipes and basic instructions. I read it in just a couple of hours. Next book on my list is "Yum Yum Bento", lol. How can you not want to read something with a title like that!?

No comments: