2.11.2009

Inspiration Strikes! Rock Wall Ideas



In our living room we have a wood stove (our dearest winter love) and behind it, about a foot away on the wall going up about halfway, we have black tiles with white grout (my husband's biggest pet peeve in the home) as a sort of "firestop". So finally, this year, we are hoping to getting around to putting in something more attractive. We've been thinking of replacing the tiles with smooth round river rocks, which we can get cheaply nearby. We had also thought of putting in an artsy copper tree silouette, since my husband is a metal artist. But today I saw the above photos in an article about mud/plaster in home decor, and I am sold.
I am thinking river rocks below, with the tree growing out, and some nooks in the tree and possible wall for candles, etc. I am so excited. We will be puppysitting for my mother in march, and that will be the perfect time I think! Of course, it may also be the ideal time to work on our leaky roof (*sigh*) and I suppose that is more important. It only leaks when there's an ice dam, which has only happened once this winter, and once last winter. Obviously, we missed the boat last summer on fixing the problem. We thought it was a fluke, now we know better. Our roofer friend says its because they didn't install a special barrier that prevents ice dam leakage...
Well, most likely, I will not be on the roof anyways, as someone will have to watch our dear little tornado, I mean, toddler. So maybe I'll get to build that wall after all... In the meantime, color me inspired!

2 comments:

Kay's Attempt at Becoming a Veganist said...

I loved this post, and pinned the tree on Pinterest. Spectacularly beautiful ideas!

Anonymous said...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/2007-10-01/How-to-Make-Earth-Art.aspx